Expanding my skill set and enhancing understanding of a topic is something I’m always interested in doing, especially in a very fast-paced industry such as online marketing. Although there are tons of resources available online that cover everything you ever wanted to know and more, wading through the nonsense and asking questions can be tough, especially when you join a topic mid-stream. The following list defines my short list of favorite books on marketing, analytics, landing page testing, and creative ideas in general.
Disclaimer: Although all these links will be to Amazon.com, I am in no way affiliated with Amazon. Buy at Amazon, or buy elsewhere, it makes no difference to me.
- Landing Page Optimization, Tim Ash. One of my favorite books, and favorite speakers. A must have. Tim, you owe me lunch for the amount of times I recommend your book.
- Always Be Testing, Bryan Eisenberg, John Quarto-vonTivadar, Brett Crosby, and Lisa T. Davis. I actually got this book for free at SES San Jose last year, and had my copy autographed. It’s Google Website Optimizer specific, but their testing principles and reasoning can be applied to any site.
- Web Analytics an Hour a Day, Avinash Kaushik and Jim Sterne. From the Mack Daddy of Web Analytics, oh and Jim Sterne too. I’m just joking Jim…
- Your Marketing Sucks, Mark Stevens. I love telling other people their marketing sucks, but every once in a while, so does mine.
- Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die, by Chip and Dan Heath.
Definitely not an exhaustive list, but this ain’t Oprah’s reading club either. Have a go at any of these page-turners and I guarantee you’ll learn something good that you can apply right away.